Monday, February 11, 2013

Feeling It...

With my husband out of town for 6 consecutive days, I was presented with a bit of a challenge with my progress.  Lack of sleep.  When he travels, I don't sleep much.  I am exhausted by 8pm and then by 9pm, I'm hit with a anxious second wind that keeps me up until midnight.  This is typically followed by the dog barking to be let out at 3am or a child crying due to the non-existent wind.  Miraculously, I was still able to run this week.  I even managed a Saturday run, which is just unheard of in my world!  

Running update
One very exciting thing happened this week.  I actually felt good while I was running.  This may sound bizarre but its very true for me.  I am a generally fit person.  I'm 5' 3.5" tall (I usually get a snicker from the nurse when I add an extra 1/2 an inch, but when you are short, it counts!) and around 127 pounds.  I would say that I'm strong but not fast.  I guess endurance is my strong suit but speed is not.  That is a lot of information to share, but my point is that, no matter how strong or fast or fit you are, if you keep making your body do stuff, your body will adjust eventually and what hurt a lot at first, will get easier and easier and you may actually find yourself wanting more (that is very unintentionally dirty sounding).  

On Saturday I ran 4 miles and I found myself wanting to run further.  I couldn't because of an impending 3 year old floor hockey game, but it was a really good feeling to want to keep going.  It made me feel like 10 miles is actually possible.  Not that I didn't think it was possible before.  Now I also feel like it's possible.  

Diabetes Update
From a diabetes perspective, I'm really looking forward to sending blood sugars to my endo's office this week.  They are much more predictable now that I'm running regularly, and I haven't told them I'm running Broad Street yet and I know they are going to be excited for me!  Also, my next 3 month appointment is 2 days before the run.  I have an amazing endocrinologist.  He's happy and supportive and loves my kids.  

Diabetes Challenge
One Type 1 challenge that I'm constantly facing is recording my blood sugars when I test.  It's a habit that I never got into as an adult (unless I was pregnant) and after downloading apps and trying notebooks, I still struggle with it.  And while my meter and my pump have a memory, it doesn't really help if there are no patterns to look at.  So that will be my goal for this week.  To record before every meal, minimally.  Hopefully at similar times each day. So I'm going "old school" and filling out the sheet from the office.  Gotta start somewhere!   

Have a great week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment